If you’re considering using your RAV4 for car camping and sleeping in a Toyota rav4, you’re in for a comfortable option. Having spent numerous nights sleeping and camping out of my RAV4, I can provide valuable insights. In this guide, I’ll cover various sleeping arrangements, offer tips for achieving comfort based on different heights, and share advice on maintaining privacy.
I’ll delve into other important aspects, such as storage solutions and essential accessories for a successful car camping experience. So please sit back and let me guide you through the ins and outs of making your RAV4 the perfect vehicle for your outdoor adventures.
SLEEPING IN A TOYOTA TAV4 BACK
I tested this out while passing through Moab, Utah, in 2021 and found it a viable option. The desert conditions of Moab made pitching a tent unappealing due to wind and sand. At 5 feet 11 inches tall, I was initially concerned about the space, but I discovered multiple options to make car camping in the RAV4 comfortable for individuals of various heights.
With some creative positioning and use of available space, it was possible to sleep well in the back of the RAV4. This experience opened my eyes to the versatility of using a compact SUV for overnight stays during road trips. The convenience and security of sleeping in rav4 were significant benefits amidst unpredictable weather conditions.
IF YOU’RE SHORTER THAN 5′ 8″ (173 CM)
Sleeping in rav4 can be a cozy and budget-friendly way to travel, especially for those under 5’8. With some clever reconfiguration using an object like a tent, you can easily create extra headroom to make sleeping in a rav4 arrangement much more comfortable. This simple yet effective hack allows for a more spacious and restful sleep setup, perfect for road trips or camping adventures.
For those taller than 5’8, finding comfort in the back of an RAV4 may require more creativity. While the method above works well for shorter individuals, taller folks may need to explore different strategies to accommodate their height. It’s essential to tailor these sleeping arrangements according to individual needs and preferences, ensuring every traveler can enjoy a good night’s sleep in rav4, regardless of height.
IF YOU’RE TALLER THAN 5′ 8″ (173 CM)
Finding a comfortable sleeping position in an RAV4 when you’re taller than 5’8 can be challenging but not impossible. By reversing the direction you sleep in rav4, with your head towards the vehicle’s rear, you can create space to extend your legs comfortably. The slight downward slope of the rear cargo area can make this position quite uncomfortable for most people.
The ingenious solution? Seek out a camping spot with a slight incline and park your RAV4 to elevate the rear above the front. This simple adjustment will level your sleeping surface, offering a more restful experience.
This clever workaround demonstrates how creativity and adaptability can enhance outdoor experiences. It also reinforces that challenges often have simple solutions if we approach them from different angles. Embracing innovation and resourcefulness while seeking comfort in unconventional spaces adds an element of adventure to car camping, turning potential obstacles into opportunities for creative problem-solving.
If your campsite is ideally level, you can get creative to elevate your rear wheels for better comfort. Look for flat rocks around 2-4 inches high for makeshift ramps. You can also use 2-4 wooden blocks to achieve the same effect. Even a slight change in slope can significantly impact your overall comfort while camping. So, consider these simple solutions for a better camping experience!
DO THE SEATS FOLD DOWN FLAT?
If you’re considering a car camping adventure in your RAV4 and planning to sleep in a rav4, you might be curious about the foldability of the seats. The good news is that the seats in the Toyota RAV4 do fold nearly completely flat, providing a relatively comfortable sleeping surface.
Upon closer inspection, there is still a slight angle when the seats are folded down. Some may find this angle negligible and not notice it while sleeping in a Rav 4. While it’s partially flat, many campers have found the sleeping setup in an RAV4 to be adequate for a night or two on the road.
You have two primary options when enhancing your sleeping experience in the back of your RAV4.
BUILD A SLEEPING PLATFORM
If you frequently plan car camping in your RAV4, a sleeping platform could make your experience more comfortable and convenient. This platform will provide a level surface for sleeping and more room, especially if you are tall. Building a DIY sleeping platform tailored to your RAV4 can take your camping adventures to the next level.
Even if you need to become more experienced with DIY projects, instructional guides can help you. One recommended resource is a video guide with instructions for building and sleeping in a Rav 4 platform. With some practice and guidance, creating this platform can be achievable for anyone looking to enhance their car camping experience in their RAV4.
USE A MATTRESS
Getting a mattress is the key to making sleeping in your RAV4 as comfortable as possible! The RAV4’s width of about 39 inches means a twin mattress, at 38 inches wide, will fit perfectly when the seats are folded down. The cargo area also offers enough length to accommodate the 75-inch size of a twin mattress.
When choosing the best twin mattress for your RAV4, it’s essential to consider various factors specific to car mattresses. Factors such as portability, compatibility, and ease of setup should be considered. The material and support of the mattress are crucial for ensuring a good night’s sleep while camping or road-tripping in your RAV4.
- If you anticipate frequent use of your RAV4 mattress, investing in a more comfortable option is advisable.
- For space optimization, look for a mattress that can fold up, roll up, or deflate to save space when not in use.
- Easy cleaning is essential, as dirt can be tracked during car camping trips.
- Consider the weather conditions – choose a cooling gel mattress for hot climates.
- For budget-friendly and easy-to-clean options, check out the SAYGOGO Camping Air Mattress.
- The LOST HORIZON Airsoft Camping Mattress is a good choice for compactness and comfort.
- Memory foam lovers may prefer the MLILY Twin Mattress.
You should cover the windows for more privacy if you find it unsettling that someone is looking into your automobile.
There are several approaches to enhancing privacy.
CREATE YOUR PRIVACY CURTAINS
- Custom privacy curtains offer the best option for complete privacy while car camping.
- Black fabric can be used to design curtains that perfectly fit the shape of your windows.
- Measure and cut the fabric to fit each window, leaving an extra 2 inches of length at the top
- Place small circular magnets across the top section of the cutout, spaced 4-6 inches apart.
- Fold the excess fabric over the interests and sew them securely into place.
- Install the curtains by placing the magnetic strip on the top metal frame of your window.
- For an extra-tight fit, consider sewing magnets into the sides of the fabric.
- While time-consuming, this process provides a highly customizable and effective solution for privacy during car camping.
BUY CAR PRIVACY CURTAINS
Various companies are offering universal car privacy curtains designed to fit any vehicle.
- One such option is the Universal Car Privacy Curtains by ZATOOTO, available as a 2-piece set for the front and back windows.
- While purchasing ready-made curtains may be more expensive than crafting your own, it saves time and ensures convenience.
- It’s important to note that the fitment of these universal curtains may be challenging.
- To the curtains, privacy shields for the front and rear windshields are also necessary for complete coverage.
- Opting for pre-made privacy solutions allows you to quickly prepare for car camping trips without spending time on DIY projects.
IMPROVISE WITH BLANKETS
Don’t want to invest in privacy curtains for your RAV4?
- You can use extra bedsheets or blankets as a quick and cheap alternative.
- Wrap the sheets or blankets around the interior, grab handles, across the front seats, and anywhere else to block the view of the windows.
- While it may not be perfect, this improvisation can provide a fast and easy solution, especially for short camping trips.
- Saving money and time on privacy enhancements is possible with household items like bedsheets and blankets.
- By creatively using these materials, you can still achieve privacy inside your vehicle while camping.
For those who frequent camping trips, the right gear can be crucial. Among my favorite RAV4 camping accessories is a durable rooftop cargo carrier that provides extra gear space and keeps it secure. A reliable portable refrigerator/freezer is essential for keeping food and drinks fresh throughout the trip, while a quality sleeping pad ensures a comfortable night’s rest.
You must like to read about Toyota RAV4 out lander.
A roof rack is a must-have for car camping adventures. Not only does it provide extra storage space, but it also opens up possibilities for attaching a rooftop tent or even a shower mount. There are various options, from simple OEM-style crossbars to more high-quality and expansive options like the Prinsu roof rack.
For example, the Brightlines roof rack offers a straightforward solution for added storage, while the Prinsu roof rack covers the entire roof and provides superior quality. If you’re interested in this rack style, other brands, such as Slimline and Sherpa, offer similar products.
I opted for the Prinsu rack on my 2021 RAV4 with its RAV4 modes, which has become one of my favorite modifications for the vehicle. Its versatility and functionality have greatly enhanced my car camping experience.
Upgrading to all-terrain tires has been a game-changer for my outdoor adventures. The increased traction and durability have given me the confidence to tackle rough terrains without hesitation. I’ve found that these tires offer better grip on loose gravel and mud, providing a smoother driving experience in challenging off-road conditions. Their robust construction gives me peace of mind, knowing that my tires can handle the rugged terrain without compromising performance.
The Falken Wildpeak A T Trail tires impressed me with their versatility and reliability. Not only do they excel off-road, but I’ve also noticed minimal impact on road noise and fuel efficiency during everyday driving.
The fact that Toyota trusts these tires for its RAV4 trims speaks volumes about their quality and performance. As someone who values both efficiency on the highway and capability when venturing off-road, I highly recommend all-terrain tires like the Falken Wildpeak for anyone looking to enhance their outdoor experiences with added traction and confidence.
Camping without water for several days is my least favorite part. But I found a solution! A self-pressurized water tank, like the ones from WaterPORT, requires no electricity and comes in 3.8-gallon or 8-gallon versions. This makes it easy to store enough water for longer trips. With a WaterPORT tank, you can access clean water whenever you need it on your camping adventures.
A trunk tent is an excellent option for turning your RAV4 into a cozy camping spot. By attaching to the hatch, it effectively increases your usable space. You can easily set up a sleeping area or shelter from the elements. Plus, you’ll have the convenience of using your car’s interior without sacrificing comfort.
It’s perfect for enjoying the great outdoors while still having the security and protection of your vehicle nearby. You can easily access supplies and stay organized with everything in one place.
HITCH CARGO CARRIER
Hitch cargo carriers provide a practical solution for expanding the storage capacity of your RAV4, especially when venturing out on a camping trip. Utilizing the hitch at the back of your vehicle allows you to store bulkier items that might not fit inside the car comfortably. This means you can bring more equipment and gear without sacrificing precious space inside the vehicle.
The convenience of a hitch cargo carrier cannot be understated. It offers easy access to your gear and can be folded away when not in use, ensuring it doesn’t impede your ability to move around or access the trunk. The versatility and flexibility offered by this additional storage option make it an indispensable asset for anyone looking to optimize their camping experience with their trusty RAV4.
IS THE RAV4 GOOD FOR CAR CAMPING?
Camping with a RAV4 is a great option. Its spacious interior and foldable seats make setting up a comfortable sleeping area easy. The RAV4’s all-wheel drive capability allows you to explore off-the-beaten-path camping spots. Its fuel efficiency also makes it practical for longer adventures. The RAV4’s reliability also means you can trust it for extended trips.
I traveled around the U.S. and lived out of my RAV4 for two months in 2022, so I have plenty of firsthand experience. Compared to smaller cars, the RAV4 offers more space and comfort for car camping.
- Optimal Size for Camping:
- Spacious interior without being excessively large.
- Accommodates extensive possessions for extended trips.
- Allows for comfortable sleeping in the back during camping.
- City-Friendly Size:
- Maneuverable and manageable for city driving.
- Versatile for urban exploration during road trips.
- Fuel Efficiency:
- Excellent gas mileage.
- Strikes a balance between size and fuel economy.
- Overcomes the common trade-off of spaciousness versus fuel efficiency in many SUVs.
- Versatile On- and Off-Road Performance:
- Smooth highway driving experience for long-distance travel.
- Capable of handling light trails and off-road conditions.
- It is ideal for exploring scenic dirt trails like those in Colorado.
- Reliable Travel Companion:
- Exceptional reliability minimizes concerns about breakdowns.
- Peace of mind during remote or long-distance travel.
- Addresses previous reliability issues experienced with other vehicles.
- When setting out on an RAV4 camping trip, staying organized using storage bins and drawers to keep your belongings in order is essential. Consider utilizing exterior storage options like a roof rack or trailer hitch cargo box.
- Make a gear checklist to ensure you remember all essential items. This will also help organize your packing process and ensure you have everything you need for a successful camping adventure.
- Have an emergency plan, especially if you expect to be in areas without cell service. Inform friends and family of your whereabouts and have a first-aid kit and essential hand tools packed for any unexpected situations.
- Keeping your car’s interior tidy is crucial for making the most of your camping experience, as it can get messy quickly with all the gear and supplies. Finding efficient ways to store items will simplify accessing them during the trip.
By following these simple tips, you’ll be well-prepared to make the most of your RAV4 camping escapade, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable experience without missing any essential gear or encountering issues due to lack of preparation.
The Toyota RAV4 offers a versatile and comfortable option for car camping, accommodating individuals of various sizes with some thoughtful planning and arrangement. By utilizing the available space effectively, campers can enjoy a restful night’s sleep in a rav4 and make the most of their outdoor adventures.
We hope this guide has equipped you with the necessary insights to enhance your RAV4 camping experience, and we encourage you to share your upcoming camping plans in the comments below. Happy camping!